May has finally arrived, and the warmer days are here, which means its time to get the garden looking prim and proper!
1. Prune spring-flowering shrubs, such as Choisya ternata, as soon as they've finished flowering. This will boost further growth, and encourage lots more flowers next spring.
2. With it being the perfect weather for growth, you will need to begin to mow your lawn(s) weekly to keep it under control.
3. Ensure you remove those plain green shoots on your variegated evergreens, as you don't want those shoots to take over the plant!
4. Be sure to keep a look out for nesting birds when trimming any hedges.
5. Keep the weeds at bay by regularly picking them out by their roots, particularly in your beds and borders.
6. Stick to watering early in the morning or late in the evening.
7. Plant your new summer bedding plants at the end of the month (for warmer areas only).
8. Ensure that you keep an eye out for pests that may have made themselves at home.
9. Particularly with May being a prime growth season for perennials, providing supports whilst they grow is key. Be sure to tie in stakes as they grow.
10. Continue to water any plants that have been newly planted, especially during dry spells of weather. The plants will need a lot of water and nutrients as the roots settle down into the soil.